Little Evie Phillips-Godfrey, 3, was out for a stroll with her mom Steph Phillips in a park near their home in Yate, South Gloucs, when she reached out to stroke an unfriendly cat.
But without warning the cat sank its sharp teeth into her left arm as she tried to shake it off (The cat).
After being rushed to the hospital to have her wounds clean, Evie got a soaring temperature of 40.8 degrees and she was readmitted to the hospital where the doctor told her mum that she had developed sepsis(” a life-threatening reaction to an infection “).
Worried, Steph, 34, told the whole story to The Sun: “I was with Evie in the park just taking her for a stroll and she saw a ginger cat.
“It didn’t seem unfriendly and was purring at her.
“She joked that it was a ginger lion and went over to stroke it.
“She reached out and suddenly the cat just jumped up out of nowhere and latched itself onto Evie’s arm and bit her.
“Evie screamed and tried to shake the cat off before it finally came loose.
“She was holding her arm and you could see the puncture marks.
But late that night Evie Phillip’s condition suddenly worsened from fever as her temperature climbed up to 40.8degrees and she was rushed back to the hospital by her worried mum.
Steph said: “We got home from the hospital and Evie seemed alright.
But that night she woke up screaming.
“I went into her room and she looked red all over so I put my hand against her face and she was boiling.
“I gave her some Calpol and took her temperature which was 40.8 degrees.
“I rushed her to hospital and doctors said she needed an x-ray. It was then that they decided to operate.”
Doctors realized that Evie’s wound was dangerously infected and that she was developing sepsis – with her arm left-turning red.
Surgeons performed two operations on little Evie to clean the wound and stop the infection on her left arm.
Steph added: “She had to have two different operations to clean the wound properly and prevent further infection.
“Evie Phillips-Godfrey arm was going bright red because of the sepsis, it was very, very scary.
“The cat bites infected her and her body reacted by going into a very strong septic shock.”
Evie spent around five nights in the hospital and is now recovering at home with her mum and three sisters and brothers.
Steph is now urging parents to be vigilant about letting their children approach cats.
She said: “They don’t seem dangerous but Evie nearly died, it was awful.
“Even if they seem cute and fluffy maybe think twice about letting your children approach them.
“Her wound didn’t seem that bad but I wouldn’t dream of anyone else going through the same thing.”